The ISO/TS16949 is an ISO technical specification aiming to the development of a quality management system that provides for continual improvement, emphasizing defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain. It is based on the ISO 9001 and the first edition was published in March 2002 as ISO/TS 16949:2002.
About 30 percent of the more than 100 existing automobile manufacturers affiliate the requirements of the norm but especially the large Asian manufacturers have differentiated, own requirements for the quality management systems of their corporate group and their suppliers.
Based on ISO 9001:2008, the ISO/TS 16949 is being adopted by many major automobile companies in the supply chain. The certification is widely sought by automotive product manufacturers because automobile giants like BMW, Volkswagen, Fiat, Ford, GM, and Japanese auto majors recognize it.
Several factors make registration to ISO/TS 16949 attractive. Major automotive companies in the world recognize this standard. Its success has led to a move towards the development of globally accepted quality management system. Adoption of this standard ensures reduction in errors and continuous development of quality standards in the organisation.
BENEFITS OF TS 16949 CERTIFICATION
- Improves product and process quality
- Common quality system approach in the supply chain for development and consistency, ensuring that the organisation works more effectively
- Emphasis on defect prevention
- Reduction of variation and increase in efficiency
- Reduction in multiple third party registrations freeing up time and supplier resources for other quality activities and improvement opportunities that can enhance business